After weeks of “Partygate” complications, Boris Johnson this morning woke as much as but extra dangerous information as his celebration misplaced three London councils to Labour within the native elections.
As in a single day counts got here in, the Tories misplaced management of the previous London strongholds of Wandsworth, Westminster and Barnet, a triple blow that would land the prime minister’s faltering management in additional bother.
A Labour win in Westminster is a major victory for Keir Starmer’s celebration, having by no means left Tory palms because it was created in 1964. And the lack of Wandsworth, as soon as described by Margaret Thatcher as her “favorite council”, is a massively symbolic defeat for the Conservative Social gathering after being beneath Tory management for 44 years.
However whereas Labour strengthened its grip on London, it has to this point did not make important beneficial properties elsewhere within the nation, prompting questions over whether or not it has completed sufficient to win again its Labour heartlands come the following normal election.
To learn how intently you’ve been taking note of the most recent developments within the information and different world occasions, put your data to the check with our Quiz of The Week.
Want a reminder of a number of the different headlines over the previous seven days?
- Friday marks 12 years because the Conservative Social gathering got here to energy as a part of a coalition authorities in 2010, ending 13 years of Labour rule.
- Boris Johnson hailed Ukraine’s resistance to Russia’s invasion because the besieged nation’s “most interesting hour” in an deal with to its parliament in Kyiv.
- US and Western officers recommended Vladimir Putin might use a navy parade scheduled to happen on 9 Could to formally declare battle on Ukraine.
- Ben Wallace mentioned British troops might quickly be skilled in how one can exploit Russia’s navy weaknesses by Ukraine.
- The US held high-level talks with the UK over Beijing’s menace to Taipei.
- And former tennis star Boris Becker was sentenced to 2 and a half years in jail after being convicted of 4 fees beneath the Insolvency Act.