Boris Johnson confronted a humiliating climbdown this week after MPs backed a proper probe into whether or not he lied to Parliament over the Partygate scandal.
- SEE MORE Boris Johnson’s ‘clear the air’ showdown with MPs
- SEE MORE Can Ukraine beat Russia within the battle for Donbas?
- SEE MORE How a Tory revolt pressured Boris Johnson into Partygate U-turn
The federal government had tried to delay a vote on the proposed inquiry till after the complete publication of a report by senior civil servant Sue Grey. However the prime minister was pressured right into a last-minute U-turn following a revolt by junior ministers.
Johnson will now be investigated by the Commons Committee of Privileges over claims that he misled MPs about lockdown events – probably a resigning matter below the ministerial code.
To learn the way intently you’ve been taking note of the most recent developments within the information and different world occasions, put your information to the check with our Quiz of The Week
Want a reminder of a few of the different headlines over the previous seven days?
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned that “a major a part of the complete Russian military” was waging a brand new assault on his nation’s jap entrance, as Moscow started “the battle for the Donbas”.
- Islamic State (IS) followers have been urged to avenge the latest demise of their chief by waging a brand new “world offensive” towards Europe and Israel.
- Stringent lockdown measures in China’s financial hubs threatened provides of iPhones and different Apple merchandise.
- A Spanish healthcare employee was reported to have caught Covid twice inside 20 days, the shortest-known hole between recorded infections.
- Royal sources claimed that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been invited to seem on the Buckingham Palace balcony in the course of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.